About the library:
The Smithton Public Library District serves 4,807 people in and around Smithton, IL in Saint Clair County. The library has a dedicated staff of volunteers and regular part-time employees, a collection of approximately 18,000 items, and offers a wide variety of programs and other resources.
Performs responsible and varied para-professional work in issuing and receiving library materials, with an emphasis on assisting patrons in using library services and facilities.
- Greet and assist library patrons in person and on the phone
- Perform circulation tasks such as:
- check out and check in materials
- shelve materials
- maintain item hold shelf for patron requests
- ability to handle money & count change
- Develop library displays under the guidance of the Library Director
- Straighten the library’s shelves and patron areas to maintain organization
- Other duties as assigned
Receives general supervision from the Library Director.
Qualifications, Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- At least 16 years old
- One year clerical or library experience preferred
- Ability to use computer
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to learn Dewey Decimal system, automated circulation system, and library circulation policies and procedures
- Ability to create courteous pleasant first impression of library
- Ability to establish good patron rapport
License or Certificate
Not applicable; on the job continuing education required.
Ability to lift up to 20 lbs over the head to shelve books on high shelves and to place the same weight at floor-level to shelve books on low shelves. Ability to stand or sit for up to 6 hours at a time. Must be able to effectively operate a computer in the execution of daily tasks.
Work Hours (regularly scheduled 12 hours per week; may be asked to fill in, as needed)
Part-time. – Wednesdays & Thursdays, 4 pm to 8 pm. Saturdays, 1 pm to 5 pm.
|Minimum Wage ($8.25/hour)||Sick Pay|
Applicants should pick up an application at the library and return it to Jenna Dauer 109 S Main St, Smithton, IL 62285, in person or by mail. Please also include a cover letter with the application.
Review of applications continues until position is filled with preference given to applicants with materials submitted before Friday, March 8, 2019. Preferred start date: Wednesday, March 20, 2019