About the library:
The Smithton Public Library District serves 4,807 people in and around Smithton, IL in Saint Clair County. The library has a dedicated staff of volunteers and regular part-time employees, a collection of approximately 18,000 items, and offers a wide variety of programs and other resources.
Performs responsible and varied para-professional work in issuing and receiving library materials, with an emphasis on assisting patrons in using library services and facilities.
- Greet and assist library patrons in person and on the phone
- Perform circulation tasks such as:
- check out and check in materials
- shelve materials
- maintain item hold shelf for patron requests
- ability to handle money & count change
- Develop library displays under the guidance of the Library Director
- Straighten the library’s shelves and patron areas to maintain organization
- Other duties as assigned
Receives general supervision from the Library Director.
Qualifications, Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- At least 16 years old
- One year clerical or library experience preferred
- Ability to use computer
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to learn Dewey Decimal system, automated circulation system, and library circulation policies and procedures
- Ability to create courteous pleasant first impression of library
- Ability to establish good patron rapport
License or Certificate
Not applicable; on the job continuing education required.
Ability to lift up to 20 lbs over the head to shelve books on high shelves and to place the same weight at floor-level to shelve books on low shelves. Ability to stand or sit for up to 6 hours at a time. Must be able to effectively operate a computer in the execution of daily tasks.
Work Hours (regularly scheduled 11 hours per week; may be asked to fill in other days, as needed)
Part-time, 11 hours per week. Mondays, 4 pm to 8 pm. Fridays, 3 pm to 6 pm. Saturdays, 1 pm to 5 pm.
Applicants should visit the library to pick up an application, and return it, along with a cover letter, to Jenna Dauer 109 S Main St, Smithton, IL 62285, in person or by mail.
Review of applications continues until position is filled with preference given to applicants with materials submitted before Friday, November 1, 2019.
Preferred start date: Friday, November 15, 2019.